Cyberweek Means Big Numbers for Barcode Scanning
Black Friday to Christmas is always the busiest time for retailers, and it is for us also! Now that the dust has settled (a bit) from the opening party (aka Black Friday, and now "Cyberweek"), we wanted to share some interesting stats.
First we should say that the 10 days from 11/24-12/4 were record breaking days which saw scan rates as high as 8 per second. We also recorded our biggest single scan day ever on Black Friday which was very exciting!
Some other fun facts:
Thanks to all of our users for being part of these momentous numbers, and keep scanning!
- Scan rates were up 158% versus year ago (both 1D & 2D), with QR Code scanning up 263%. This just shows how many more QR Codes are in the market versus a year ago.
- The top 5 US cities scanning were: Orlando, Houston, San Antonio, New York, & Chicago
- Scans by OS were dominated by Android (47%) and iPhone (43%) with BlackBerry and others making up the remaining 10%
- Black Friday by Time of Day:
- Biggest spike was at 1:00 AM EST as doors opened for Midnight sales in the Central Time zone. Apparently those hard core shoppers are using all the tools to find the best deals!
- Busiest time block was from 12-2 EST with 18% of all scans that day
- Top 3 electronics products being scanned (from UPC codes):
- iPhone 4Gs (16 GB)
- Nikon Coolpix
- Garmin Nuvi GPS
If you don't already have the ScanLife app, check it out from www.getscanlife.com